Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Is double majoring in Biophysics and Astrophysics a smart thing to do?

I love mathematics, I love physics, I love biology and I love astronomy! I just love these subjects. So I was thinking it might be a good idea to double major in both.





So what do you guys think?|||It's going to take more than just love to double major like that. It's going to take 100+ hours of study a week, for four years. A "normal" load is about 40-60 hours a week, so where are you going to find the time to eat, wash, sleep, buy food %26amp; clothes, and go out on dates?





168 hours per week


- 100 hours for classes and study


- 56 hours for sleep (8 hours a day x 7 days, average)


= 12 hours a week for everything else





A more realistic double major has more overlap in courses, so that it's only 80+ hours a week of study. That gives you 30+ hours a week for "everything else", and some people can do that.





Talk to a college academic adviser to be sure.|||I majored in physics and astronomy, but they shared a lot of courses so it wasn't really much more work. What you want to do will keep you busy. If you're not really smart, I'd just do one of them, and add courses from the other wherever they'd fit. You don't really have to get both degrees at the same time.|||Good idea. Don't stick to one subject, because you never know when you're forced to change to a new field.

No comments:

Post a Comment