Friday, December 2, 2011

Is it weird to have an Astronomy and Astrophysics/Political Science Double Major?

I thinking about possible college majors and am curious about a possible Astrophysics/Political Science double major. I know it is odd, but do you think it is doable? I know one is a natural science while the other is a more of a social science, but I really like both....HELP!!!!|||Well, having a science major is a great idea if you plan to go into politics - there are far too few politicians who understand the basics of astronomy. However, if you want to work in astronomy, keep in mind that there really aren't any jobs in astronomy if you don't have a PhD, and if you want to go to grad school to get a PhD, you really should be majoring in physics, not astronomy. |||It may be unusual but I for one think it is an excellent idea. I am a program advisor at my university as well as being a professor and I'm always recommending to students to do exactly what you propose, combine a Major in one area with either a major or a minor in an area which at first glance seems unrelated. This exposes you to what constitutes rigor in very different fields, it gives you an unusual if not unique skill set and almost certainly it will involve you in finding intellectual connections that you didn't even imagine existed.


Good luck.|||This will be perfect for when the aliens come down and we need to send an Ambassador! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment