Tuesday, December 6, 2011

What's the difference between astrophysics and space physics?

which of these fields will help me to get into ISRO or NASA?|||Both are almost the same.





Do not narrow down the stream in under graduation. Then specialize in the stream whatever you want, in post graduation. Try maybe MSc or Phd in Physics or astrophysics





I think getting into ISRO is easy because Madhavan Nair had told that they are short of man-power. Also it is developing quite fast. So, I think there would be more prospects in ISRO.|||Don't focus your undergrad studies on astronomy/astrophysics. I'm not sure if uni's even let you do that. Get a BS in Physics and then from there apply to grad school (preferably a Phd, but MS is okay too). At grad school you can focus on astrophysics. I heard Arizona's a good grad school for astro.


If you focus on astronomy/astro classes early and decide to switch fields (for example, condensed matter physics) you'll have a difficult time trying to make up the undergrad physics courses everyone else took.|||Well to get a job with either agency you need to be a citizen of the respective countries.





There is no difference between the subjects other than nomenclature. However, like another respondent, I would say do not make this a primary focus too early. I did a general physics degree and had no problems going into astrophysics when I did my doctorate.





In any case you really need to research what it is you want to do. Anyone can work at NASA as a janitor but that is presumably not what you want to do. However, most of the jobs there are for bureaucrats - it is an administration and very little actual research goes on there.

No comments:

Post a Comment