Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Which careers could I pursue if I major in astrophysics in college?

When looking at majors offered at different colleges, the only ones I could see myself taking are astronomy/astrophysics. However, I can't really think of any careers I could pursue... besides teaching, and I'm not really interested in that. Which careers are there?|||There's really not a lot you can do in that field without a PhD, and even if you do the 8-12 years of college to get the PhD, there aren't many jobs. Not enough for everyone with a PhD in astrophysics. So it's a competition all the way, and a lot of math, physics, and computer science. Just a warning. With a bachelors in the field, you could teach high school or work at a museum or as a data analyst (somewhere like NASA or a national lab) but those last jobs are few and far between. A masters in the field will get you about the same jobs plus the option of teaching community college (and a teaching college job is very hard to get right now). A PhD can have you working at colleges and universities, national labs and observatories, and NASA. But a bachelors in the field can get you many jobs that a physics degree can get you.

No comments:

Post a Comment