Friday, December 2, 2011

What bachelor's degree to take if I want to have a phd in astrophysics?

I was told to take physics as an undergraduate, but if the astrophysics thing doesn't work out, the only choice I have is to be a teacher, which I REALLY don't want to be. Can I take any other major? My friend told me that in Princeton (which I would love to be in :D ) they have a class in engineering physics and I can work in factories and stuff.|||Yup, you can always major in engineering, but physics is probably the most relevant. Teaching is not the only option for physics majors. If it was, there would be a shitload of physics teachers in the US and physics wouldn't be a popular major. You can always go into research, working in the industry, etc, but most of these require a PhD of course.|||I would think that if you wanted to do astrophyiscs you would do physics. most colleges would let you start taking some astrophysics courses probably junior or senior year and they might even have a concentration or major in astro. otherwise I cant think of any majors that would prepare you for astrophysics well. maybe aerospace engineering? At any rate you would want to do physics or engineering or some sciency major. But really if it doesnt work out youll probably know while still in college so you can switch majors. And if you get your physics degree and then it doesnt work out, there are a lot of physics jobs. Hell, you can always go into business or get an MBA.

No comments:

Post a Comment